Ben Thompson arguing that we’re getting a lower priced iPhone now because the internals of the iPhone 5 (which the iPhone 5C will reportedly use) are finally “good enough”:
In fact, the primary mistake Apple has made, if they made one, was in determining exactly where the “good enough” line is at. The iPhone 4S is arguably “good enough” and could have been the basis for a mid-range model last year. Apple thought otherwise though; I would imagine a not insignificant factor is that the iPhone 5 is the first iPhone with a fully Apple-designed SoC, the A6.
The big question mark for tomorrow remains what price this iPhone 5C will come in at? Thompson makes the case for $450 (unsubsidized) and $99 (subsidized) — with a $0 subsidized price point being possible as well (matching the current iPhone 4). That doesn’t seem cheap because it’s not. But it is still $200 cheaper than the current (unsubsidized) iPhone 5.
Remember also that the 32GB iPod touch currently costs $299 (unsubsidized, of course). If you think Apple is going to sell the iPhone 5C for a cheaper price than that, you’re crazy. It’s a higher-end machine. $350 may be possible (well, $349 in Apple parlance) if Apple really wanted to be aggressive. But I agree that $450 would be more likely. We’ll see tomorrow.
We are paying for the high-end brand. It is all about the name, the symbol because, let’s be honest, other phones do more and offer more.
20 Notes/ Hide
- justlats likes this
- youwillfailthetest likes this
- rockyourcortex likes this
- andreaszabari reblogged this from parislemon
- dereckie likes this
- majorllama reblogged this from parislemon
- macphoenix likes this
- rplusdc likes this
- javs42 reblogged this from parislemon
- sam likes this
- 1biggeek reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- deducingreality likes this
- joeguethon likes this
- brad-t likes this
- stubmle reblogged this from parislemon
- ismail367 likes this
- buzz likes this
- gitesh likes this
- supahhdeejay likes this
- noodlesandbrain reblogged this from parislemon
- juliahakman likes this
- shoutsandmumbles reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- stupidandskinny likes this
- parislemon posted this